Michael completed a Master of Science in Physiotherapy at McMaster University and a Bachelor of Applied Science in Kinesiology at the University of Guelph. His passion for research in sport science has lead him to continue his education, and is currently completing a PhD in exercise science at the University of Toronto.
A significant portion of Michael's professional practice has involved the assessment and treatment of individuals from a variety of sports, with a strong focus on swimming, cycling, running, and triathlon. He provided physiotherapy support for a number of provincial and national sport organizations through the Canadian Sport Institute. Michael strongly believes in providing evidence-based, Rehabiliation interventions through utilizing the latest research to optimize the recovery of his patients.
Michael has an extensive background in exercise and sport science in addition to his experience in Rehabiliation. He is a certified exercise physiologist and a certified triathlon coach. He has prepared athletes for national and international level competition by developing and implementing individualized endurance sport programs.
- Conduct orthopaedic examinations to determine the biomechanical issues leading to dysfunction.
- Physiotherapy support for the Swim Canada High Performance Centre Ontario, the Ontario Swimming Academy and the Ontario High Performance Sport Initiative.
- Develop and lead educational in-services
- Developed an evidence-based scapular dyskinesis rehabilitation program for over-head athletes.
- Provide injury prevention talks to local running clubs on common injuries and injury prevention.
- Structure all interventions through evidence-based practices.
- Develop and implement return-to-sport programs for athletes in a variety of team and individual sports.
- Coordinator of educational in-services for the physiotherapy team.
- Event support for clinic sponsored races.
- Developed periodized training and seasonal plans for recreational and competitive triathletes for race distances up to an including ironman.
- Prepared athletes for national and international level competition by developing tapering programs and personalized nutritional strategies appropriate for their individual needs.
- Assistant coach for training days for the junior development athletes at the national regional training centre at the University of Guelph.
- Performed metabolic testing to assess fitness levels, develop appropriate training programs, and to monitor the effectiveness of specific training protocols.
- Developed strength and conditioning programs to improve fitness levels and aid in injury prevention.
- Performed running gait analysis and modifications to improve running economy and decrease the risk of injury.
- Mentored with the Senior National Development Coach for Triathlon Canada at the Regional National Training Centre in Guelph, Ontario.
- Organized and conducted draft legal cycling clinics throughout Ontario
- Adapted Cycling Ontario's Learn to Ride program to incorporate triathlon specific cycling skills.
- Coached and aided in the management of the 2010 Ontario Summer Games.
- Ph.D. Student (Exercise Science), University of Toronto, Canada.
- M.Sc. (Physiotherapy), McMaster University, Canada.
- B.A.Sc. (hons) (Kinesiology), University of Guelph, Canada.
- Adv. Dipl. (Fitness and Lifestyle Management), George Brown College, Canada.
- Registered Physiotherapist, College of Physiotherapists of Ontario.
- Certified Exercise Physiologist, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology.
- Certified Triathlon Coach (Comp. Intro.), National Coaching Certification Program.